Echeveria agavoides Lem.
Molded Wax Agave, Molded Wax Plant, Molded Wax, Wax Agave, Wax Echeveria
Cotyledon agavoides, Echeveria obscura, Echeveria yuccoides, Urbinia agavoides, Urbinia obscura
Echeveria agavoides is a small, stemless, succulent plant, up to 5 inches (12.5 cm) tall, with a star-shaped rosette of fat leaves up to 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter. The apple green leaves are triangular, with reddish edges and a terminal spine. The inflorescences in summer appear on slender, single-sided cymes up to 20 inches (50 cm) long. The flowers are pinkish-red with petals tipped with dark yellow.
USDA hardiness zones 9b to 11b: from 25 °F (−3.9 °C) to 50 °F (+10 °C).
How to Grow and Care
Most of the common Echeveria species are not complicated succulents to grow, provided you follow a few basic rules. First, be careful never to let water sit in the rosette as it can cause rot or fungal diseases that will kill the plant. Additionally, remove dead leaves from the bottom of the plant as it grows. These dead leaves provide a haven for pests and Echeverias are susceptible to mealy bugs. As with all succulents, careful watering habits and plenty of light will help ensure success.
Repot as needed, preferably during the warm season. To repot a succulent, make sure the soil is dry before repotting, then gently remove the pot. Knock away the old soil from the roots, making sure to remove any rotted or dead roots in the process. Treat any cuts with a fungicide
Most Echeverias can be easily propagated from leaf cuttings, although a few are better from seeds or stem cuttings. To propagate a leaf cutting, place the individual leaf in a potting soil for succulents and cover the dish until the new plant sprouts.
Learn more at How to Grow and Care for Echeveria.
Echeveria agavoides is native to rocky areas of Mexico.
Subspecies, Varieties, Forms, Cultivars and Hybrids
- Echeveria agavoides f. cristata
- Echeveria agavoides 'Aquamarine'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Corderoyi'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Ebony'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Maria'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Miranda'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Prolifera'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Rajoya'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Red Edge'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Romeo'
- Echeveria agavoides 'Romeo Rubin'
- Echeveria agavoides x pulidonis
- Echeveria 'Frank Reinelt'
- Echeveria 'Gilva'
- Echeveria 'J.C. Van Keppel'
- Echeveria 'Haageana'
- Echeveria 'Macabeana'
- Echeveria 'Margaret Martin'
- Echeveria 'Tippy'
- Echeveria 'Water Lily'
- Back to genus Echeveria
- Succulentopedia: Browse succulents by Scientific Name, Common Name, Genus, Family, USDA Hardiness Zone, Origin, or cacti by Genus
Subscribe now and be up to date with our latest news and updates.