Cotyledon orbiculata L.
Pig's Ear, Pig's-Ears, Silver Pig's Ears, Round-Leafed Navel-Wort, Round-Leaved Cotyledon, White Lady
Cotyledon elata, Cotyledon oblonga, Cotyledon ovata, Cotyledon ramosa
Cotyledon orbiculata is a succulent shrub up to 5 feet (1.5 m) tall. The fleshy, rounded, gray-green leaves with a white, powdery substance on them are up to 5 inches (12.5 cm) long and up to 3 inches (7.5 cm) wide. The bell-shaped, orange to orange-red flowers are small, up to 1.2 inches (3 cm) long, and droop from the top of a 2 feet (60 cm) tall stalk.
USDA hardiness zone 9b to 11b: from 25 °F (−3.9 °C) to 50 °F (+10 °C).
How to Grow and Care
Cotyledons can be divided into two groups. One group consists of evergreen plants with a summer growing period. The other group is made up of deciduous plants, splendidly magnificent with large, solid fleshy stems. The second group grows during the winter, and sheds its leaves during the summer. Cotyledons require a free-draining gritty mix and plenty of sun. They are tolerant of cool, frost-free conditions during the winter if kept dry. Some require pruning to maintain an attractive shape. Cotyledons should be kept in a sunny position. Follow general succulent watering procedures. Be careful of over-watering when they are deciduous… – See more at: How to Grow and Care for Cotyledon
Cotyledon orbiculata, also known as Pig's Ear and Dog's Ear plants, sometimes grow in an expansive pattern, which can impede on other plants. While they don't take up too much water, they can still steal sunlight and root space for your other flora in your arid garden. You may just want to divide your Pig's Ear because you want to have more of them. Either way, with the right tools and environment, you can get clippings to grow so you can have multiple Cotyledons in your possession… – See more at: How to Divide, Propagate and Transplant a Pig's Ear Plant
Subspecies, Varieties, Forms, Cultivars and Hybrids
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Cinderella'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Elk Horns'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Huisrivier Pass'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Lighthouse Road'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Mucronata'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Oophylla'
- Cotyledon orbiculata 'Staghorn'
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. flanaganii
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga 'Flavida'
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. oblonga 'Macrantha'
- Cotyledon orbiculata var. dinteri
- Back to genus Cotyledon
- Succulentopedia: Browse succulents by Scientific Name, Common Name, Genus, Family, USDA Hardiness Zone, Origin, or cacti by Genus
Subscribe to Receive News and Updates from World of Succulents: