Echinopsis chamaecereus H. Friedrich & Glaetzle
Chamaecereus sylvestrii, Chamaecereus silvestrii, Lobivia silvestri, Cereus silvestrii
Echinopsis chamaecereus is a branched cactus, up to 6 inches (10 cm) tall, with many crowded finger-like stems. Pale green stems are up to 6 inches (15 cm) long and up to 0.5 inches (1.2 cm) in diameter. It has 8 to 10 ribs and 10 to 15 soft, white bristles. The flowers are orange-red and up to 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter.
USDA hardiness zone 10a to 11b: from 30 °F (−1.1 °C) to 50 °F (+10 °C).
How to Grow and Care
Peanut Cactus needs a well-draining potting mix. Water the plant thoroughly until water comes through the pot’s holes and let the soil dry at least halfway down the pot before watering again. In winter, decrease or withhold water. The plant will look shriveled and stems can take on a reddish tinge, but the Peanut Cactus will plump up again and return to its normal color in spring.
The plants grow well in hanging baskets or shallower, 4-inch (10 cm) nursery containers, because the cactus is shallow-rooted. Hybrids can take deeper pots. It is difficult to transplant older clumps of Peanut Cactus because the stems break apart so easily. Fertilize the cactus once a year during the growing season using a balanced fertilizer at half the recommended strength. In areas with hot, dry summers like the Southwest, grow Peanut Cactus in areas that get partial shade. In areas with cool summers or in temperate climates, grow it in full sun… – See more at: How to Grow and Care for Peanut Cactus (Echinopsis chamaecereus)
Echinopsis chamaecereus is native to Argentina (Tucumán).
Subspecies, Varieties, Forms, Cultivars and Hybrids
- Echinopsis chamaecereus f. cristata
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Annie’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Arlequin’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Boom’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Cactus Art’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Captain Jessop’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Yellow Bird’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Lutea’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Rose Quartz’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Rot Violet’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Violet’
- Echinopsis chamaecereus ‘Westfield Alba’
- Back to genus Echinopsis
- Succulentopedia: Browse succulents by Scientific Name, Common Name, Genus, Family, USDA Hardiness Zone, Origin, or cacti by Genus
Subscribe to Receive News and Updates from World of Succulents: